Pepper Steak is a simple dish of beef steak cooked with a mixture of different coloured peppers seasoned with soy sauce and ginger.
- 600 g rump steak, thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 green bell pepper, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cubed
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 cup Chinese cooking wine
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- fish sauce, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl mix together beef, 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp of Chinese cooking wine, cornstarch and baking soda, mix well by hand to coat the beef strips evenly. Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Using a very high heat on stove top, heat up a wok, once its smoking add a small amount of oil, let it continue to smoke then add beef pieces in batches cooking them to sear on one side before turning it over. Do not stir fry wait for it to sear on one side before flipping them and make sure not to crowd your wok. Once all the beef pieces have been cooked, set everything aside.
- Using the same wok add oil then sauté garlic, onion and ginger.
- Add the peppers, stir the peppers for a minute.
- Add the beef back into the wok together with the rest of the ingredients, you might need to add a bit of water then stir fry for one more minute. Season according to your liking then serve.