Waknatoy or what they call the “Marikina Menudo” is a type of menudo that is prepared similarly but with additional ingredients like Vienna sausages and pickles.
- 700g pork belly, cut in small cubes
- 300g Vienna sausage, cut in small sections
- 5 pcs whole pickles, cut in small sections
- 1 large potato, cut in small cubes
- 1 large carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1 green capsicum, cut in small cubes
- 1 red capsicum, cut in small cubes
- 1 medium sized red onion, diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup pickle juice
- 3 large red tomatoes, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 1 tsp rubbed basil
- freshly ground black pepper
- fish sauce
- On at pot sauté garlic and onion in oil.
- Add pork and brown on all sides.
- Add chicken stock and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots, green capsicum, red capsicum, tomatoes, basil, pickle juice and tomato paste. Simmer for 15 minutes in medium heat.
- Add Vienna sausage and pickles then simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Flavour with fish sauce and season with freshly ground black pepper.