Waknatoy or what they call the “Marikina Menudo” is a type of menudo that is prepared similarly but with additional ingredients like Vienna sausages and pickles. It’s a popular dish in Marikina and in fact it’s so common it is served in most household there like how other Filipinos serve adobo on a regular basis. It’s quite a tangier version of menudo as the sweet and sour taste of the pickles gives this dish a really pleasant flavour enhancing the whole experience.
Story has it that this dish is so popular that even during the old days that when Chinese merchants was abundant in the place it was widely sold in the streets as well as most eateries. When these merchants dined in or ordered on these places they were always offered this ubiquitous dish and since it’s a common sight most of they refuse to order it by saying “Ito na naman? Wag na to!”, imagine that in Chinese accent and it will sound like “Wak na toy!”, now you know where the name came from. I guess if you get offered this dish on a regular basis you will definitely get tired of it but for me I don’t mind, I like the combination of flavours on this one.
Like menudo it is very easy to prepare, I think that is why the Marikeno’s serve this on a regular basis. Flavour wise I think this dish is much better than the classic menudo since it has an ace on its sleeves in the form of pickles, trust me if you try this one you might not prepare your menudo the traditional way anymore.
- 700g pork belly, cut in small cubes
- 300g Vienna sausage, cut in small sections
- 5 pcs whole pickles, cut in small sections
- 1 large potato, cut in small cubes
- 1 large carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1 green capsicum, cut in small cubes
- 1 red capsicum, cut in small cubes
- 1 medium sized red onion, diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup pickle juice
- 3 large red tomatoes, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 1 tsp rubbed basil
- freshly ground black pepper
- fish sauce
- On at pot sauté garlic and onion in oil.
- Add pork and brown on all sides.
- Add chicken stock and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots, green capsicum, red capsicum, tomatoes, basil, pickle juice and tomato paste. Simmer for 15 minutes in medium heat.
- Add Vienna sausage and pickles then simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Flavour with fish sauce and season with freshly ground black pepper.