Chicken and Asparagus Risotto
If you think rice is just for Asians then you haven’t tried having risotto yet, it’s a concoction that has been prepared in Italy since the 1800’s. Risotto in general made with a special starchy creamy rice like Carnaroli, Arborio or Vialone Nano where it yields a texture somewhere between a steamed rice and porridge, while its not soupy a congee it is still saucy and not cooked as tight as a steamed rice. It is usually cooked to a creamy consistency but with still an al dente texture, where it is usually flavoured with a good stock together with generous servings of parmesan.
There are many recipes for risotto but for our dish today we will make some chicken and asparagus, served with tons of parmesan it’s an all on one meal, where your protein, carbs and vegetables are combined into one amazing dish.
- 1½ cups Arborio rice
- 350 g skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into cubes
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into pieces
- 3½ cups chicken stock (homemade or good quality commercial)
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup finely grated parmesan + more depending on your preference
- 2 small shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Lightly season chicken pieces with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a wide pan heat olive oil and butter, add the chicken and brown it on all sides. Remove the chicken then set aside.
- Add and sauté shallots and garlic in low heat until shallots are soft.
- Add the rice then continue to cook for a minute while constantly stirring, add the wine and let it reduce.
- Gently ladle chicken stock one scoopful at a time until all liquid is absorbed by the rice, this will take roughly around 12 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and chicken back then continue to cook for 5 to 7 minutes, add more stock if needed.
- Remove from heat then stir in some parmesan before serving. Season with salt if needed and freshly ground black pepper then serve.