Clams Casino Crostini
Clams Casino Crostini is a type of crostini inspired by a dish called clams casino, similar to baked tahong where clams are served on the half shell prepared and baked to golden perfection with other ingredients, in this case breadcrumbs and bacon. This dish originated in Rhode Island and is commonly served as an appetizer in New England.
The first versions of this dish were believed to be developed during the 1917 in Little Casino in Narragansett since once of the patron’s name Mrs. Paran Stevens told Julius Keller who was the maître d’hôtel that she wanted something special for her guests and this dish was created. Mrs. Paran Stevens then named the dish after the hotel and since then it became popular. Moving forward there were many versions of this dish that came out, there are even copycat version that uses oysters and like our dish today it was based on the original one but done differently, with our clams off the shell served on crostini it’s one of the many ways of enjoying this great flavour combination.
- 24 pcs clams, steamed, shells discarded and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 strips steaky bacon, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp butter
- ½ baguette, toasted and sliced
- 2 pcs shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground pepper
- sea salt
- extra-virgin olive oil
- basil leaves
- In a pan add a bit of olive oil and brown bacon pieces. Remove bacon then set it aside.
- Using the same pan add butter then sauté shallots and garlic in low heat, cook shallots until soft. Add the oregano, parsley and chopped clams. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Toss in the bacon and the tomatoes then set it aside.
- Prepare a baking tray, place your sliced baguettes. Top it with a good spoonful of the clam and bacon mixture, place in the oven then broil until top looks crisp, around 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven then serve topped with basil leaves and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.