Bihun Goreng is a popular hawker food where it is usually served on banana leaves similar to pancit habab together with makeshift chopsticks made with two lidi sticks.
- 250 gram dried vermicelli, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup pre-boiled chicken flakes
- 1/2 cup shelled small shrimps
- 2 stalks spring onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped Chinese celery
- 3 tbsp kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 3 pcs small shallots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 pcs candlenuts
- 3 tbsp dried shrimps
- 1 tbsp black pepper corns
- 1 dried red chilli, seed included
- coriander, chopped
- fried shallots
- In a spice grinder or a food processor combine all spice paste ingredients, pulse to make a paste.
- Prepare a wok, add oil then stir fry the spice paste until fragrant, around 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, pre-boiled chicken flakes, shrimps, chicken stock, sweet soy sauce, and soy sauce then bring it to a boil
- Add the vermicelli, spring onions and Chinese celery then stir fry to combine. Continue to stir fry for 2-3 minutes until noodles are cooked.
- Place in serving platter then garnish with coriander and fried shallots