Sesame Ginger Beef is a simple stir fry of Beef with ginger and sesame seeds mixed with green beans then flavoured with soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil.
- 600 g rump steak, thinly sliced against the grain
- 300 g green beans, trimmed
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 stalks spring onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb sized ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- peanut oil
- In a bowl combine together cornstarch, 2 tbsp soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine and baking soda. Mix well then add the beef, toss well to evenly coat. Let it marinate for 15 minutes.
- Prepare a really hot wok, add oil then in batches cook the beef on one side until it sears, around 30 seconds to 1 minute, depending on how thick or hot your wok is. Turn in one the other side then cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Turn only once then set it aside.
- Using the same wok add oil then sauté garlic and ginger.
- Add the green beans then stir fry for a minute.
- Add back the cooked beef, remaining soy sauce, spring onions, sugar and sesame oil, stir fry for 2 minutes, sprinkle a bit of water to hydrate it then serve topped with toasted sesame seeds.