Grilled Paprika Chicken with Chorizo Gravy
Back in the Philippines I used to eat a lot at fast food courts of malls, because its cheap and the place where I worked before have a big 4 floor shopping mall at the ground level. At that mall, there was this Filipino Spanish fusion restaurant (not existing anymore) that serves this amazing chicken with gravy and topped with chorizo bits, I know it’s a Filipino dish but until now I cannot find the name or its recipe, all I can vaguely remember is how it looks and how it tastes.
I remember it is made with a whole chicken leg and thigh section, lightly grilled or baked but nowhere near charred then it is drenched with a gravy with hints tomato then topped with chorizo bits. Like I said it was a favourite and once in a while I order it, probably one a week or once a fortnight. With that in mind I will try to recreate this personal favourite at home after more than 15 years, and I guess I did a good job, while it’s not 100% exact copy this is the nearest one I had made after my many attempts.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into sections
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- olive oil
- 3 pcs chorizo, sliced
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2½ cups milk
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- olive oil
- Season chicken with smoked paprika, garlic, salt and olive oil. Set it aside and let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- Grill chicken for 8 minutes on each side or until fully cooked. Place in a serving platter
- While chicken is grilling prepare your gravy. On a saucepan melt add olive oil then cook the chorizo until its brown, mildly break it up as you cook them. Remove chorizo from the pan once its cooked then set aside.
- Using the same pan add melt the butter in low heat then add the flour to make roux. Gently add milk while continuously mixing until the sauce becomes thick.
- Add the tomato paste then mix it well to combine.
- Add the chorizo back, simmer for 30 seconds, season with salt then pour it over the grilled chicken. Serve.