Lemons are abundant at the moment, you get free lemons from friends, from neighbours and from colleagues, it is also cheap at the moment in all supermarkets so for us it’s the best time to make some lemon muffins. It’s a simple baked treat you can enjoy every moment of spring and summer, it’s quite easy to prepare so there is no reason for you not to make one or even give away some.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 60 g butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- lemon zest
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 6 tbsp white sugar
- In a bowl combine together flour, baking powder and sugar
- On a separate bowl beat together egg, milk and lemon zest.
- Gently mix in the flour mixture into the milk mixture. Mix in the melted butter until well incorporated then pour into a 12-hole muffin tray and bake in a 180C preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- While waiting for the muffin combine lemon juice and white sugar together in a small sauce pan, place on stove top on low heat and heat it gently up while continuously mixing until the sugar has all melted.
- Remove the muffin from the oven then drizzle a tablespoon of the lemon sugar mixture on top, let it cool before serving.