Pasta al Pomodoro is an Italian pasta that is simply prepared with olive oil, tomatoes and basil. Its a quick and light dish that is easy to prepare.
- 400 g spaghetti, cook 2 minutes less according to packet instructions
- 800 g can San Marzano tomatoes
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- bunch of fresh basil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- finely grated Parmesan or Pecorino, for garnishing
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat then sauté garlic and onions, sauté in low heat until onions are soft. Add the chilli flakes then continue to sauté for one more minute.
- Add the tomatoes then mash it with your ladle, season with sea salt. Simmer in low heat until thickened this will take around 20 minutes.
- Using your hand tear the basil then add it into your sauce, leave some for garnishing. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Add the pasta to the pan, mix to evenly distribute the sauce. Place on serving platter, season with freshly ground black pepper and finely grated Parmesan, drizzle olive oil then top with basil leaves then serve.