Paneer Butter Masala
Paneer Butter Masala is one of the creamiest curries you will ever try, a mild but flavourful curry prepared with Paneer in a cream sauce infused with cashews and spices. The name sorts of describe how the dish is prepared, where paneer together with butter is cooked with masala, a South Asian term for a spice mix which consists commonly often with garlic, ginger, onions, chilli paste and tomato.
I was inspired making this dish when we had organized Indian Theme for our birthday last year, the dishes prepared was amazing and the Paneer Butter Masala that we catered for was really delicious, to add to that the soft and warm texture of paneer with the thick curry sauce on basmati rice or naan was a real pleasure to the senses. Since that birthday I always make sure when I have Indian for lunch this was one of my orders and now I am recreating at home and I was so delighted for nailing it.
- 250 g fresh paneer, diced
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1½ cup water
- 20 pcs cashews
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 pcs cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup cream, plus more for garnishing
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1-inch ginger, pounded
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, pounded
- coriander leaves, chopped to garnish
- 4 tbsp butter
- In a pot add the butter then sauté onion, ginger and garlic. Cook until onions are soft.
- Add tomatoes and cashews then bring it to a boil. Once it starts boiling lower the heat then using a hand blender blend puree the mixture in the pot.
- Add the water red chilli powder, cardamom and bay leaf then bring it back to a boil then slowly simmer in low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the paneer and cream then cook 5 minutes.
- Add then sugar, dried fenugreek leaves and garam masala, mix and simmer for 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat, serve topped with cream and chopped coriander leaves.