Chicken Galantina is a Filipino dish of deboned chicken stuffed with a mixture of minced meat, egg, cold cuts, pickle relish and other spices that is either poached, steamed or baked. This dish originated from a French dish called galatine, which preparation is nearly the same apart from the latter where it is coated with aspic.
This dish is festive dish on both cuisines Filipino or French, where it is served on special occasions and often lavishly decorated and presented as a tables centre piece. This dish is quite old and has been in cookbooks since the 19th century and was enjoyed in Europe since then until for some reason it reached the Philippines most probably to the Spanish.
Though process and preparation is nearly similar the ingredients changed where Filipinos filled it up with locally available ingredients. Actually, a mish mash of multiple cuisines hence you see Chinese sausages, Vienna sausages, American pickles and raisins combined in one dish. I guess the older versions is much simpler than this as these new ingredients I mentioned only appeared in the Philippine cuisine during the American occupation.
Today we will be preparing it by baking as it gives more flavour than the other methods, plus I can lather my chicken with butter to give it more flavour. It is a perfect dish to serve for your Christmas dinner, so if you are still thinking on what to prepare why not give this a shot.
- 1 whole chicken, cavity deboned
- butter, softened
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- juice from 1 lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl combine all marinade ingredients then pour it into your chicken. Set you chicken aside for 30 minutes and let it marinate.
- In a bowl combine all filling ingredients (apart from the eggs) together by hand. Mix well.
- Fill the cavity of the chicken with the filling, placing hard boiled eggs in between then tie the chicken legs together with a kitchen twine covering the cavity.
- Massage a generous amount of butter on the chicken surface, place chicken in a roasting rack then roast in a 180C preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove from oven, let it cool then serve.