Chinese-Style Beef, Sweet Potato, and Bok Choy Stew
I know most of you who visit my blog live in the Northern Hemisphere and I guess at this time it will be cold, on the other hand in the place where I live it’s the other way around, it is warm. But even though it is warm here there is no one stopping me from making my soups, specially our recipe for today, and I guess most of you will benefit by it more than me. I love soups, in fact it’s hard for me to eat rice without it that is why most of the dishes I post here are either saucy or soupy, it just gives a lot of vibrance to my meals.
For today we will have Chinese-Style Beef, Sweet Potato, and Bok Choy Stew for dinner, a simple yet very flavourful dish of tender beef ribs, sweet potatoes and bok choy in a soup infused with garlic, ginger and five spice giving it some floral notes alongside the umami taste that is perfect with my rice.
- Season beef ribs with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- In a large pot add oil then brown beef ribs on all sides. Remove from pot then set it aside.
- Sauté garlic and ginger, add the beef back together with the Chinese five-spice powder.
- Pour beef stock and soy sauce then pour enough water just to cover everything. Bring to a boil then simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Add the sweet potatoes then continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce then add the spring onions and bok choy on top, simmer for 2 more minutes while covered then turn heat off then serve.