Chinese Style Beef Ribs, Sweet Potato, and Bok Choy Stew is a dish of slowly stewed beef ribs in garlic and five spice powder served with sweet potatoes.
- 1 kg beef ribs, sliced into section
- 1 large orange sweet potato, cubed
- 2 large bunches bok choy, trimmed
- 3 stalks spring onions, chopped
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 thumb sized ginger, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- Season beef ribs with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- In a large pot add oil then brown beef ribs on all sides. Remove from pot then set it aside.
- Sauté garlic and ginger, add the beef back together with the Chinese five-spice powder.
- Pour beef stock and soy sauce then pour enough water just to cover everything. Bring to a boil then simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Add the sweet potatoes then continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce then add the spring onions and bok choy on top, simmer for 2 more minutes while covered then turn heat off then serve.
Sweet potatoes combine so well with beef, don’t they? The two flavors work SO well together. Love the bok choy, too. You’re right — we’re eatig tons of soup at the moment, so this is perfect. Thanks!