Hipon sa Aligue is a dish of large juicy prawns swimming in a sauce made with crab fat/roe, creamy coconut, tomatoes, chillies and a splash of lemon.
- 1 kg tiger prawns or any large prawns, shell on, cleaned and drained thoroughly
- 1/3 cup crab fat paste / aligue
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 4 pcs large tomatoes, diced
- juice from 1 lemon
- 4 pcs red eye chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 thumb sized ginger, minced
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- fish sauce
- coriander, to garnish
- Heat up a wok, add oil then once it starts to smoke add prawns in batches. Cook until lightly burned on each side, this might take 30 seconds per side depending on how hot your wok is. Remove the prawns then set them aside.
- In the same wok add more oil then sauté garlic and onions, in medium heat.
- Add tomatoes and chillies then continue to cook until tomatoes are soft.
- Bring heat to high, add coconut cream and aligue, bring to a boil.
- Add the prawns, season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper. Continue to cook for a minute.
- Turn heat off then serve while hot. Garnish with coriander and drizzle some lemon juice on top.