Gambas con Kabute is a spicy dish of prawns and mushrooms served with lots of garlic on a gravy made with roasted prawn shells
- 500 kg prawns, shell on
- 12 pcs white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch, diluted in 3 tbsp of water
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust to your liking, I like it hot)
- 1 pc shallot, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped parsley, to garnish
- crispy fried garlic, to garnish
- Remove the head and shells of the prawns, place in a roasting rack and roast in an oven until it turns brownish red and crispy.
- Place roasted shells in a pot then add 1 1/2 cup of water, bring to a boil then mash the heads and shells. Simmer for 10 minutes then reduce the liquid further to equivalent of 1 cup. Strain the liquid then set aside.
- In a non-reactive bowl add shrimps and lemon juice, let it marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan then cook mushrooms for 2 minutes. Remove mushrooms then set it aside.
- Using the same pan add more oil then sear prawns in high heat. Remove prawns then set it aside.
- Back to your pan, sauté garlic and shallots in high heat.
- Add the capsicum and cayenne pepper then stir fry a minute in high heat. Add the tomato paste and stir fry for a minute. Add the prawns and mushrooms.
- Combine prawn stock and diluted cornstarch pour into the pan, bring to a boil while continuously mixing for 4-5 minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then serve garnished with chopped parsley and fried garlic.