Caldereta Nueva is a type of caldereta made with beef or mutton cooked in tomato sauce, coconut milk and hints of peanut butter
- 1 kg beef ribs, stewing beef, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, cubed
- 2 pcs medium potatoes, cubed and deep fried
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 large red capsicum, sliced
- 140 g tomato paste
- 2–4 red birds eye chillies, sliced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 200 ml coconut cream
- 4 tbsp peanut butter
- 3 pcs bay leaves
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- fish sauce
- On a pot, heat oil and sauté garlic until crispy golden brown. Remove from pot then set it aside.
- Place onions on the pot and sauté until soft.
- Add beef and brown on all sides.
- Add beef stock, coconut milk and bay leaves, bring to a boil.
- Add carrots then simmer for 1½ hour in very low heat or until meat is tender, add water if needed.
- Add peanut butter and tomato paste then continue to simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Add coconut cream, bird’s eye chillies, green peas and capsicum then simmer for additional 15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes then season with freshly ground black pepper and fish sauce. Top with the fried garlic then serve
Peanut butter and coconut milk? Sounds like a wonderful combo. And this sounds like it has wonderful flavor. Sold! 🙂
I’ve had an African stew with beef, peanut butter and tomatoes called Mafe which was a very interesting flavor combination. I love how this dish takes it a lot further with all of the vegetables and then the coconut milk. Now that is very interesting! Looks good!