Beef Tendon Gumtang Collagen Soup is a soup dish which is made with tendons and beef cooked with daikon radish, sesame seeds, leeks and Korean rice cake.
- 500 g beef tendons, cubed
- 500 g beef shank meat, cubed
- 8 stalks spring onions, chopped, white and greens separated
- 1/2 large daikon radish, sliced
- 2 whole cloves garlic
- 100 ml Sake
- 1 litre Dashida or Dashi stock
- 3 tbsp toasted sesame seeds, plus more for garnishing
- sea salt
- 3 cups cooked Tteok (Korean rice cake)
- In a soup pot boil beef tendons and beef shank meat in plain water for 10 minutes. Drain then rinse removing any scum.
- Place back the tendons in the pot, set aside the beef shank meat. Pour half of the dashida stock, 3 cups of water and all of the sake, add the white sections of the spring onions, garlic and some sea salt. Bring it to a boil then simmer for 2 hours in very low heat.
- Add back the beef shanks, radish, toasted sesame seed and remaining Dashida stock continue to simmer for one more hour in low heat.
- Season with sea salt if needed, add the cooked Tteok then garnish with spring onions and toasted sesame seeds. Serve.