Bulalo Pares is a dish of Beef Shanks cooked in sweet style soy sauce infused with lots of garlic and anise, typically enjoyed with garlic fried rice.
- 1.5 kg beef leg shanks
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 6 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 pcs star anise
- 2 pcs dried bay leaves
- 2 tbsp cornstarch, mixed in 4 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 red onion, minced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- fish sauce
- fried garlic, to garnish
- chopped spring onions, to garnish
- In a pot add oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add beef leg shanks and brown on all sides.
- Add beef broth, water, soy sauce, brown sugar (adjust according to your liking, the dish is meant to be sweet), star anise, bay leaf, black pepper and cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer for
- /2 hrs or until the beef pieces are really tender up to a point it’s nearly falling apart.
- Season with fish sauce according to your liking.
- Top with fried garlic and pair it with garlic fried rice and clear beef soup.