Pianono or pionono is a type of sponge cake rolled into a cylinder similar to jelly roll cake, what sets it apart from other roll cakes is that pianono are smaller in size
- Separate the egg whites from the yolk and place in two different mixing bowls.
- Using an electric mixer beat egg whites until really fluffy.
- Continue to beat while adding sugar by the spoonful. Set is aside.
- Sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder and baking soda.
- Beat egg yolks together with the vanilla extract, gently add the sifted flour and beat in low speed.
- Fold in the egg/flour mixture to the egg whites until well incorporated.
- Prepare a jelly roll pan, line it with wax paper then pour mixture on top and flatten it evenly with a spatula.
- Place in a 180C preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Prepare another sheet of wax paper over a work surface, scatter some white sugar (this will be the coating of the roll cake so just add one thin layer) on top of the wax paper.
- Once the cake is ready, turn it over on the top of the prepared wax paper on your work surface. Do this while its hot so you can easily remove the wax paper on the bottom.
- Spread a good amount of margarine on top, then with the longest side on the other side, roll up the cake towards you.
- Slice into sections then let it cool before serving.