Shakshuka in its most basic form is just a dish of tomatoes, chili peppers, and onions where eggs are poached on top of it prior to serving.
- In a charcoal grill, cook your eggplant until soft and lightly charred on all sides. Once cooked, chop the eggplants into smaller cubes. Set aside.
- Prepare a large pan, heat olive oil add the bacon scraps and cook until golden brown. Remove the bacon then set aside.
- Using the same pan sauté garlic and onions.
- Add the eggplants, chopped tomatoes, water, tomato paste, paprika, cumin, chili flakes and the bacon that was set aside. Bring to a boil then simmer in low heat for 10 minutes.
- Make 4 wells and crack an egg on each top of the well. Continue to cook in low heat covered for 5-8 until eggs are cooked but still runny.
- Season with salt, squeeze lemon juice on top, garnish it with parsley and drizzle of olive oil. Remove from heat then serve while hot.