Filipino Chinese Style Crispy Roast pork cooked in garlic and onions spiced with Chinese spices like star anise and five spice powder
- In a pot place your pork belly, add enough water just to cover the rest of the meat. Add around 2 tablespoons of rock salt, sugar, star anise, garlic and onion. Bring it to a gentle boil and simmer in low heat for 30-40 minutes or until cooked but still firm and not really tender.
- Remove from the pot then let it drain and air dry. Once cooled down brush it all over with the Shaoxing wine. Place it in the refrigerator uncovered for 24 hours.
- Remove pork from the refrigerator then generously poke the skin with metal skewers, fondue forks, “Pig Sticker” or Chap Zai/Jaccard. Season skin with salt and the meats / bottom side with the five-spice powder. Let it sit for a while until its warm and in room temperature. Pat it dry with paper towel making sure there is no moisture on the skin.
- Place roasting pan with a bit of water on the pan then roast in a 200C preheated oven skin side up 45 minutes.
- Increase the heat to 220C and roast for 15-20 more minutes until the rind crackled up.