Creamed Spinach is a vegetable dish made with spinach cooked in a creamy sauce, a dish that is usually paired with any roast meats.
- 400g bags spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 200 ml full cream milk
- 100 ml cream
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 25 g butter
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a saucepan melt butter then sauté the onions for 5 minutes in low heat. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for a minute.
- Add the flour and cook until it forms into a roux.
- Slowly add the milk while mixing until it is well incorporated with the roux.
- Add the spinach then slowly cook in low heat for 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the cream and nutmeg, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer for one more minute then serve.