Salt Pepper Spare Ribs

Salt Pepper Spare Ribs is a Chinese dish of deep fried pork spare ribs seasoned with chilli peppers, salt and five spice powder. It is a main stay on usual Chinese restaurants that serves Cantonese banquet usually served as an appetizer or mains.

I like this this but I can’t perfect how I cook them, the recipe below is my best attempt so far, I got the exact flavour but I can’t get the meat to be really tender like how they do it in Chinese restaurants. Meat was soft but I want it a bit softer, most of my Chinese friends tell me it’s just fried even recipes online states so but I think on the next attempt I will pre-boil my ribs first before frying, I think it will yield the same texture. But for the meantime here is what I got and I will update the recipe as soon as I get some improvement.

clock clock iconcutlery cutlery iconflag flag iconfolder folder iconinstagram instagram iconpinterest pinterest iconfacebook facebook iconprint print iconsquares squares iconheart heart iconheart solid heart solid icon
Salt Pepper Spare Ribs 1

Marinade

Coating

• 1/2 cup potato starch
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
  • 1/2 tsp five spice powder
  • 2 tbsp oil

1. Combine all marinade ingredients in a large bowl then add the pork, mix it well using your hands and let it marinate for at least 15 minutes.
  2. Add the all the coating ingredients onto the bowl then mix it again with your hands.
  3. Prepare a deep fryer set it to 180C the deep fry pork until they are cooked and turn golden brown. Remove pork from the fryer then drain excess oil.
  4. Prepare a wok, add a small amount of oil then sauté your garlic, shallot, spring onions and chillies once it’s all fragrant, lower the heat then add the cooked pork. Toss to combine flavours then season with salt and ground white pepper, turn off heat then serve.

1. suituapui says:

Looks good!

2. Michelle says:

Delicious!

3. Juliana says:

Since I do not fry food at home, this is one of my favorite pork dishes when eating at Chinese restaurant…thanks for the recipe Raymund…one of this day I will try this recipe on the air-fryer.
    Have a wonderful weekend 🙂

4. EILEEN WONG says:

Do you mix the 2 Tbsp oil with the rest of coating ingredients before using it to coat the spare ribs?

5. Jade Z says:

Have you tried marinating with baking soda and rinsing off? I know when I made Mongolian Beef, that’s the method I learned to make the meat tender. ! I tested with and without and it really made a difference.

I don’t remember how much but I marinated for maybe 15 minutes and then rinsed off, then added my marinades.

6. Jade Z. says:

7. OK Sous Dad says:

The answer is boiling the ribs first until the water dries up. Then the actual frying begins on the rib’s own fat. No extra oil added. Looks great BTW, I will try it next weekend and report.

8. Brandon says:

Raymond – thanks for the recipe. As Jade Z suggested, what Chinese restaurants do to get the meat tender is to use sodium bicarbonate. It’s roughly 1 to 2 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate to about 250ml. Mix it then pour it over the meat. Don’t leave it in too long. I usually leave it for about 30 to 60 minutes. Make sure you wash the meat very well. Another option is to use a fruit like kiwifruit or papaya. They make the meat tender too.