Coda alla vaccinara is a type of Roman dish made with oxtail, vegetables and lots of celery.
- 1 1/2 kg oxtail, cut into 2 1⁄2″ sections
- 100 g pancetta, minced
- 6 stalks celery (3 minced and 3 whole)
- 1 medium carrot, minced
- 1 red onion, minced
- 4 cloves
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 1/4 cup raisins, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Generously season oxtails with salt and pepper.
- Heat large heavy pot on stove top, add oil and once it hot brown oxtails on all sides. Remove oxtails then set it aside.
- Add the pancetta, minced celery, carrot, red onion, cloves and bay leaves, sauté in medium heat for 5 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Bring back heat to high, add wine let it reduce in half its volume then pour the chopped tomatoes, beef stock and add the oxtails. Bring back to a boil then simmer covered in low heat for 2 hours.
- Add the 3 whole celery stalks and raisins then continue to simmer covered for one more hour, check liquid levels regularly add water if needed. In the last 15 minutes, remove the cover, bring heat to high then continue to cook until liquid is reduced to a thick sauce. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then serve.