Tonjiru is a loaded version of miso soup – with thinly sliced pork, tofu, mushrooms and vegetable it has everything sorted for you.
- 6 cups dashi
- 5 tbsp miso
- 300 g thinly sliced pork belly
- 1 block tofu, cubed
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2 cups sliced Napa cabbage
- 6 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 stalk spring onion, thinly sliced
- half of a small daikon, sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- In a soup pot add oil them on high heat cook the pork until light brown in colour.
- Push pork aside then add and sauté the onions.
- Add the daikon, carrots and mushroom. Pour the dashi then bring it to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes in low heat.
- Add the miso, mix it well and make sure it is totally dissolved.
- Add the tofu, Napa cabbage and spring onions, let it simmer for 5 more minutes and do not let it boil. Gently stir to mix.
- Remove from heat and serve on individual bowls.
Mi girl would love this, she enjoys Japanese…and Korean. I prefer our own local noodles.