Carne Bistec is a Columbian beef dish that is quickly seared then simmered in cumin and onion gravy.
- 750g beef sirloin or tenderloin, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup water
- olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Season beef slices with salt and 1 tbsp of cumin.
- Prepare a large heavy pan, heat pan until it smokes then add a small amount of oil just enough to thinly cover the surface. Once oil smokes add the beef probably in batches if your pan is not large enough. Cook for a minute on each side then set it aside, do it with the remaining beef slices. Remove the beef from the pan then set them aside.
- Add more olive oil into the pan then reduce the heat. Sauté the garlic and onions.
- Add the tomatoes then season with salt, pepper and remaining cumin. Add the beef back together with the dripping and the water, bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat then serve with rice and sunny side up eggs.