You may well know Chopsuey by heart as it is the most common vegetable dish in the Philippines but do you know that there is another way to prepare them? And it’s the creamy variant. Not all will love this version but for those who like it thick and creamy then this recipe is for you.
Creamy Chopseuy is a dish of stir fried mixed vegetables infused with creamy ingredients like chicken liver, quail eggs and of course a creamy sauce made with mushroom soup. For the vegetables you can use any of your favourites just keep the creamy ingredients to enjoy it the most. Have you ever cooked chopseuy like this?
- ¼ head large cabbage, sliced
- 1 broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 large carrots sliced thinly
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), sliced
- 10 pcs button mushroom, sliced
- 15 pcs boiled quail eggs, shelled
- 150 g chicken liver, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp corn-starch (dissolved in ¼ cup water)
- 2 cups mushroom soup (can or home-made)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- Boil 6 cups of water in a small pot, add broccoli and boil for 2 minutes, drain then rinse in running cold water. Set it aside.
- Season chicken liver with salt and freshly ground black pepper, set it aside.
- Heat up a wok in a very high heat, add oil and let it reach near its smoking point. Add chicken livers and brown it on all sides. Remove liver from wok then set it aside.
- Add more oil into the wok if needed then sauté garlic and onion.
- Add carrots, celery and mushrooms then continue to stir fry in high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add cooked liver, cabbage, red capsicum then continue to stir fry in high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli then stir fry for one more minute.
- Pour mushroom soup and add the sugar then bring it to a boil, mix it well to distribute the sauce evenly then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Remove from wok then serve.