Kinalas is a delicious Bicolano dish made from tender meat extracted from pork or beef’s head served with a thick deep-brown sauce over a hearty bowl of noodles
- 500 g medium thickness fresh yellow noodles (Shanghai Noodles)
- 2 kg beef leg bones with meat
- 500 g beef tendons
- 2 tbsp peppercorn
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 3 pcs white onion, quartered
- 3 cups shrimp stock (you can also use shrimp heads to make your own)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 cup corn-starch
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp dried shrimps / hibe, powdered (using coffee grinder)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- spring onions, chopped
- calamansi (optional)
- birds eye chillies (optional)
- In a pot combine beef leg bones and beef tendons, add water enough to cover the meat. Bring it to a boil and leave it boiling for 5 minutes.
- Drain the pot and rinse meat with running cold water to remove the scum. Set aside the meat.
- In the same pot place the meat back together with all other soup ingredients, pour enough water to cover meat then cover and bring to a boil. Simmer in low heat for 2 hours, during this process add water if necessary do not let it dry
- Using a colander separate the liquid into a separate pot and set aside the tendons and beef leg.
- Meanwhile remove/extract the meat from the beef leg then set it aside, cut it into bite sized pieces.
- Place the bones without the meat together with tendons back into the pot, continue to simmer the stock for 1 more hour, season with sea salt if necessary.
- Remove the tendons then cut them into bite sized pieces, combine it with the beef meat.
- Continue to simmer gently while preparing the rest of the dish.
- In a deep pan add oil then sauté garlic and shallots. Cook in low heat until shallots are soft.
- Add the powdered dried shrimps then continue to sauté for 2 minutes or until really fragrant.
- In a bowl combine all remaining gravy ingredients together and mix until free of lumps. Pour into the pan, let it boil and simmer until thick in consistency. Turn off the heat then set it aside.
- Cook noodles according to packet instructions, drain then place in serving bowls.
- Place noodles in a bowl, add some of the tendons and beef then ladle some hot soup, top it a good amount of gravy then garnish with spring onions.