Sesame chicken is a Chinese inspired dish made with deep fried chicken pieces coated in a sweet, tangy sauce that may be served with vegetables like broccoli and baby corn. Like Mongolian Barbecue and General Tso’s Chicken this dish is made to believe to have originated in one country, in this case China but actually a product of clever marketing. Having said that I did not say it does not have Asian connections as the one who probably made with was of Asian origin.
For me I don’t care where this dish came from, what matters is that this delicious dish was created as simple addictive concoction that is a crowd pleaser. It is salty, sweet, tarty and a bit spicy, it’s all happening in this mouth-watering tender chicken dish all you need is a freshly cooked jasmine rice to top this up.
- 1 kg boneless chicken thighs, cut into sections
- 1 large broccoli, cut into florets
- ½ cup potato starch
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- toasted sesame seeds
- spring onions, chopped to garnish
- freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare boiling water, add ½ tsp of salt then cook broccoli for 2 minutes. Drain and cool it down with running water then set aside.
- In a large bowl that you can cover combine potato starch, ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper and salt. Add chicken then cover the container, shake to coat chicken evenly.
- Heat up a wok willed with oil, once oil reaches 180C deep fry chicken pieces until golden brown and cooked. This will take around 5 to 8 minutes depending on how thick you chicken cut is. Remove chicken from the wok, drain excess oil then set it aside.
- In a bowl mix together honey, soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, Sriracha, toasted sesame oil, a tablespoon of the sesame seeds and salt, set it aside.
- Using a pan add oil then sauté ginger and garlic. Pour prepared sauce the let it boil in medium heat. Add the cooked chicken and toss to coat it evenly with the sauce. Cook for 2 minutes then fold in the broccoli, continue to toss then turn heat off.
- Place in serving platters then garnish with toasted sesame seeds and spring onions.