- 2 pcs large mackerel, sliced into 1 1/2 inch sections
- 1 large ampalaya
- 3 tbsp tausi (fermented black beans)
- 2 cups water
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- spring onions, chopped
- fish sauce
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Slice ampalaya lengthwise, remove the seeds by scraping the middle with spoon then generously sprinkle lots of salt in the cavity you just made (this will reduce its bitterness). Set it aside while frying your fish.
- Season fish with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Prepare a pan over stovetop on high heat. Add oil and once it’s hot enough pan fry fish until its golden brown on all sides. Remove fish from pan then set it aside.
- Rinse ampalaya in running water to remove salt, slice ampalaya thinly then wash it again. Drain then set it aside.
- Using the same pan remove but 2 to 3 tbsp of oil, sauté garlic and onions.
- Add tomatoes and cook in low heat until it soft.
- Add the ampalaya stir fry for a minute then add water bring to a boil uncovered then add the tausi, mashing some as you add them into the pan.
- Add the fried fish and continue to let it boil in high heat for 3 more minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper.
- Gently add the eggs on top and once it partly cooks, gently mix it into the sauce.
- Place spring onions to top then serve with hot with rice.