Ribollita is a very famous Tuscan soup made with leftover bread and mixed vegetables like cannellini beans, kale, carrots, tomatoes and onion to name some.
- 500 g kale, trimmed and chopped
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 400 g can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 thyme sprig
- olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 5 thick slices ciabatta
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
- In a wide oven proof pot add some olive oil, heat it up then sauté white onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Slowly cook in low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the kale, chopped tomatoes, stock, rosemary and thyme. Bring it to a boil and simmer in low heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove the rosemary and thyme sprigs then add the cannellini beans, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place bread on top of the soup totally covering the surface then scatter the red onions on top, drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle generous amounts of Parmesan.
- Place in a 230C preheated oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until top is golden brown. Remove from oven then serve.