Mung Bean, Chickpeas and Bitter Gourd Shoots Soup
If you love the Filipino mung bean soup (Munggo Gisado) then you will love this even more, think of it as a fancy version of that classic soup, infused with fragrant dried shrimps and crispy pork belly cooked alongside creamy chickpeas and bitter gourd shoots, it’s an explosion of Filipino vegetable flavours on your mouth.
I made this one time when a close friend of mine gave me some bitter gourd shoots and chickpeas, such a weird combination together but I was challenged to use them both in one dish. I had some wild ideas initially but ended up with a soup dish which is this one.
- In a pot sauté garlic in oil until golden brown, remove garlic from pan then set aside.
- Add pork and fry until golden brown and crispy, remove pork from pan then set aside.
- Add hibe/dried shrimps and gently fry until really fragrant.
- Add mung beans and stock, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the chickpea then simmer for 30 more minutes or until mung beans are really soft.
- Add the cooked pork, then simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add bitter gourd shoots then season with fish sauce and pepper.