- 1 kg stewing beef, cubed
- ½ cup bacon, cubed
- 500 g button mushrooms, sliced in half
- 3 cups red wine (preferably Burgundy)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 2 carrots, cubed
- 2 parsnips, cubed
- 1 bouquet garni (6 parsley stalks, 2 celery stalks, 1 bay leaf, 6 peppercorns, 3 thyme sprigs, placed inside muslin and tied)
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp butter
- olive oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 90 g butter, melted
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- In a heavy skillet add oil then brown beef pieces on all sides. Remove from skillet then set aside.
- Add the carrots and parsnip then cook for 4 minutes. Remove from skillet then set aside.
- Add bacon and fry until light brown, add garlic and onions then sauté until onions are cooked.
- Add half of the butter, flour and stir until it forms a roux. Add wine, beef broth, brandy, tomato paste, beef and place bouquet garni on top bring to a boil then transfer to casserole.
- Bake for 2 hours at 150C preheated oven stirring occasionally and adding water as needed.
- Place the carrots in the casserole then continue to bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare your dumplings. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic and chives and mix it with a fork.
- Make a well in the flour mixture then add the melted butter and milk. Fold the mixture together and make sure its thoroughly combined. Let it sit aside for 15 minutes.
- In a heavy pan add remaining butter then cook mushrooms for 3 minutes. Remove casserole from the oven then add mushrooms and onions into the casserole and give it a good mix.
- Make your dumplings, using your hands form golf ball sized dough then place on top of the beef mixture, spacing about 1-inch apart.
- Place casserole back into the oven and continue to bake for 30 more minutes at 180C.
- Season with salt and pepper, remove bouquet garni before serving.