Creamy Tuscan Chicken
Like most of the cuisines in Italy, Tuscan is also based on using fresh and simple ingredients. Dishes from this country like I said many times before look simple but they are rich in flavour and quite filling, to give you an example a pizza in America which are loaded with so many toppings is so much different from Italy where it contains only few ingredients, but due to the type of ingredients used Italian dishes tend to be more flavourful in a very balanced way.
Tuscan dishes are not that different, having that rich flavour dishes here are usually accompanied with a plain unsalted loaf which is a tradition that dates back to 16th century when salt was heavily taxed. During those days’ salt was never added to the bread due to its price but dishes were richly prepared to compensate the lack of flavour. The main use for the bread is to soak up the leftover juices or gravy of any meal.
Creamy Tuscan Chicken is a good inspiration from this cuisine, it is simple but very richly flavoured. Made with chicken cooked and served with a creamy garlic sauce with spinach and sun dried tomatoes this thing is heaven on a plate.
- 1 kg chicken thighs, cut into sections
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1 cup cream
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried parsley
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet add olive oil then cook and brown chicken on both sides. This might take 5-6 minutes per side depending on how thick your chickens are. Remove from the skillet then set it aside.
- Add the garlic and white onion then sauté for 2 minutes.
- Pour the cream and chicken stock together with parmesan cheese, dried basil, dried oregano, dried parsley, dried thyme, dried rosemary and red pepper flakes. Whisk the sauce while cooking until it starts to thicken.
- Add the spinach and sun dried tomatoes then simmer until spinach is wilted.
- Add the chicken back then simmer for one more minute. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.