Fried Beef Hor Fun with Gravy is a type of noodle dish made with wide rice noodles drenched on an Asian style gravy served with tender slices of beef and Asian greens.
- 400 g beef (rump, tenderloin or any steak cut), thinly sliced
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp oil
- a big bunch of choy sum, gailan or bok choy
- 400 g wide rice noodle
- sesame oil
- In a bowl combine together baking soda, cornstarch, Chinese cooking wine, soy sauce and sesame oil, mix well.
- Add the beef and using your hands mix it well to distribute the marinade evenly, set aside for 15 minutes.
- Place wok in a stove top and place in really high heat, once it starts to smoke add oil and swirl it around to coat the surface.
- Let it reach the oils smoking point then add the beef in single layer as possible, leave it there without mixing for 30 seconds to a minute until brown on one side. Turn to the other side and leave it again for another minute. Now start to stir fry, continue doing so for 2 minutes. Remove beef from the wok.
- Blanch vegetables in boiling water for a few seconds then drain and rinse with running cold water, set aside.
- Soak rice noodles in boiling water in a big bowl for 3 minutes, drain then set aside.
- Prepare your wok, add sesame oil and heat it up until it smokes. Add the noodles and let it char, do not stir fry it but leave them on the wok as it cooks. Toss the wok once or twice to turn it over. Remove from wok then set aside, keep it warm.
- Using the same wok, add oil then sauté garlic and ginger.
- Add the spring onions and stir fry for 30 more seconds.
- Pour beef stock, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and oyster sauce then bring it to a boil.
- Combine tapioca starch with water, mix well. Gradually add this solution to thicken the sauce.
- Add the egg white while mixing the sauce then then beef. Season with white pepper and salt then turn the heat off.
Combining it all together
- Place noodles on a plate, pour sauce over the noodles. Place greens on the side then serve with hot.