Gua Bao or “Taiwanese hamburgers” is such a versatile steamed bun, like most breads you can basically fill it with anything and it would work.
- 12 pcs large gua bao
- 6 pcs large snapper fillets
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup julienned spring onions
- pickled red onions (recipe below)
- sweet chilli sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
Pickled Red Onions
- 2 large red onions
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
Sriracha Garlic Mayonnaise
- Steam you gua bao.
- Heat oil in a skillet or a shallow thick pan.
- Cut each snapper fillet in half. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Lightly coat each fillet with cornstarch then pan fry fish for 3-4 minutes on each side in medium heat.
- Remove fish from pan then set it aside.
- Grab a gua bao, spread a tablespoon of sriracha mayonnaise then fill it with julienned carrots, julienned spring onions, pickled red onions and a fried fish then top it with sweet chilli sauce. Do it with the rest then serve.