Lumpiang Gulay is a type of spring roll filled with vegetables such as cabbages, carrots and green beans usually dipped in spicy vinegar. This is a popular dish back home in the Philippines in fact it is sold almost everywhere like street food carts and carinderias, usually consumed as a side dish or merienda. This dish has many versions one of the most popular ones is the Lumpiang Togue, other versions exists and it all differs on the vegetable filling available on a specific province.
My post today will not be the traditional lumpiang gulay but my own version, it was inspired by the vegetable spring rolls we can usually buy here frozen in the supermarkets, I love its flavour hints of sweetness and creaminess in a small crispy package. I will be combining the elements of that commercial spring roll together with some traditional ingredients resulting in this post of our today. Trust me its better, I just combined best of both worlds by adding some peas, sweet potatoes and some starchy goo flavoured with sesame oil, it’s an irresistible crunchy morsel.
- 1½ cups sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- ⅓ head large cabbage, shredded
- 6 pcs rehydrated shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green beans, thinly sliced
- ½ cup green peas
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp corn-starch
- 2 tbsp water (the ones used for rehydrating the mushrooms)
- Lumpia wrapper
- 1½ cup cane vinegar
- 4 red chillies, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Combine all Lumpiang Togue ingredient together except for the wrapper.
- Heat up a wok filled with oil for deep frying.
- Prepare one piece of lumpia wrapper, lay it with one edge pointing to your direction, place three tablespoons of the vegetable mix in the bottom part of the wrapper near the edge. Now start rolling and when it reaches third of the way fold the left and right edges to keep the contents from going outside the sides. Continue to roll until the top edge, dampen the top edge to seal.
- Deep fry immediately, do not set aside as the liquid content might make the wrapper soggy. Now continue with the remaining ingredients and make sure once you finish wrapping one cook it immediately.
- Once cooked, remove from oil then place in a paper towel lined plate to remove excess oil.
- Mix all vinegar dip ingredients together.
- Serve hot together with vinegar dip.