Bibingkang malagkit is a simple combination of coconut milk cooked glutinous rice baked then topped with a rich coconut caramel sauce.
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- In a non-stick pot combine glutinous rice and 4 cups of coconut milk, bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer gently while occasionally mixing to cook them evenly and not burn the bottom, let the mixture thicken until it’s nearly dried out.
- Add sugar and salt then mix continuously in low heat for 10 minutes. At this stage it will be really sticky.
- Line a 9x 13 baking tray with banana leaf then transfer the cooked glutinous rice. Set it aside.
- Prepare your topping by mixing all topping ingredients together in a sauce pan, bring it to a boil and simmer in medium heat uncovered until heavily reduced but still runny.
- Pour topping over the rice cake on the baking pan then bake in a 180C preheated oven for 20 minutes or until topping becomes really thick and dark (not burnt). Remove from oven then set it aside to cool down.
- Serve warm.