Taco Pao is a fusion of three different cuisines Mexican for the taco concept then Chinese and Filipino for the pao, a steamed bun folded like a taco filled with asado style pulled pork, shredded cabbages, pickled radish, sliced chillies dressed with creamy mayonnaise.
- 400g pork loin, cubed
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in ⅓ cup water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups daikon radish
- 1/2 thumb sized ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- taco shaped steamed buns (bao/gwa pao)
- thinly shredded cabbage
- sliced red chillies
- On a pan add oil and sauté garlic then add pork, stir fry pork for 3 minutes.
- Add water, soy sauce, brown sugar and 5 spice powder. Bring to a boil and simmer in low heat for 2 hours or until the meat breaks apart and can be easily pulled apart, mixing occasionally to prevent burning, add additional water if needed.
- Once meat has broken down add hoisin sauce then thicken it with cornstarch mixture, simmer further until sauce thickens.
- Season with salt. Turn heat off then set aside.
- Toss the radish and 1 tbsp salt together in a large bowl, set aside for 1 hour.
- Thoroughly rinse the radish in running tap water using a colander. Now place radish in a muslin cloth and squeeze to drain further.
- Now in a bowl combine radish and ginger.
- Now mix together vinegar, water, sugar and 1 tsp salt in a saucepan then bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes and do not stir.
- Place radish mixture in containers then pour liquid into the mixture, cover the container tightly then store in the refrigerator. For best results consume the Pickled Radish only after 2 days of making them.
- Steam taco shaped steamed buns according to packet instructions
- Fill steamed buns with a heaping tablespoon of the filling, then the thinly shredded cabbage, pickled radish and chillies. Then dress with mayonnaise.