Taco soup has all the elements of your favourite Tex Mex food but gives more comfort due to its soupy nature. Made with minced beef, onions, corn, chillies and beans a bowl of this would be perfect on its own, with chips or even a crusty bread.
- 700 g minced beef
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 2 x 400 g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400 g cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups whole kernel corn
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 tbsp sliced jalapeno peppers
- 3 heaping tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream, for garnish
- coriander, to garnish
- In a pot heat oil then saute onions, once onions are soft add the minced beef and cook until it’s browned.
- Add all the remaining ingredients apart from the kidney beans, tomato paste, sour cream and coriander, bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and tomato paste then simmer for 10 more minutes, add a bit of water if you want it less thick. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve garnished with sour cream and coriander.