Tamarind Coconut Curry is a type of curry where meats like chicken, beef and sometimes fish is slowly simmer in a concoction of coconut, tamarind and spices. IF you like Indian or Thai curries this dish is surely never to be missed.
- 700 g chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite sized pieces
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 100 ml coconut cream
- 1 dozen curry leaves
- 2 dried red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, pounded
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- In a wok or a large pan add oil then sauté onions, cinnamon stick and curry leaves in medium low heat until onions caramelizes and soft.
- Add the ginger and garlic then continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add a bit of salt, sugar, chillies, turmeric powder, cinnamon powder and coriander powder, stir for a minute.
- Add the chicken, cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes, turning once halfway.
- Add the tamarind pulp and coconut milk, cover the pan then simmer for 30 minutes in low heat.
- Season with salt then pour some coconut cream on top prior to serving.