When we buy tortillas in a pack we have a choice of six pieces or ten pieces and I hope there is an option for eight as six is not enough for us and ten is too much so we end up buying the ten but end up with extra two all the time. This excess is then chucked in the freezer in the hope of using them again in the future, but reusing them for wrapping stuff is not idea as it is all dried out of its moisture.
In an effort not to throw away food we reuse them on some other ways like tortilla soup, use it as a crispy pizza base or our post today which is the tortilla crisp. Tortilla Crisp are crisp baked flour tortillas that can be served with any dips like hummus, chilli con carne, guacamole, etc. It’s a good side or entree to any Mexican dish, it also pairs well with chunky spicy soups.
Preparing it is easy as well and you can go as simple as you want of you can put some flavour on it like how I did it, with some garlic and chilli flakes this stale tortillas was brought back to like with a zing!
- In a bowl add a small amount of olive oil then set aside
- Rub garlic clove into the tortilla
- Cut tortillas into bite sized pieces then brush each piece with oil on both sides
- Place tortillas on a baking paper lined baking pan then sprinkle sea salt and chilli flakes on top.
- Bake in a 180C preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until its golden brown in colour. Turn tortillas halfway. Remove from oven then serve.