Chunky Beef and Pasta Stew is a dish of bite sized tender beef cubes, carrots, celery, potatoes, mushroom, tomatoes and pasta.
- 1 kg stewing beef, cut bite sized pieces
- 500 g farmers brown mushrooms
- 2 large plump tomatoes, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- 2 large carrots, cubed
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cups dried macaroni
- 1.5 litres beef stock
- 1 cup Shiraz red wine
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- freshly ground pepper
- chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Season beef pieces with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place soup pot on a stove top in very high heat then add oil, add the beef pieces and brown on all sides.
- Remove the beef then add the onions and celery cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables sweat.
- Add the tomato paste and tomatoes then continue to cook until the paste sticks on the pot and slightly darkened.
- Add wine to deglaze then return the beef, add the stock and thyme then bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to low then simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the carrots, celery, potatoes and the beef simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and dried macaroni then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Separate two cups of cooking liquid then set it aside.
- In a pan add and melt the butter. Once totally melted add the flour to make a roux. Gently the two cups of soup then bring it to a boil until it thickens.
- Pour thick sauce into the pot of vegetables and beef then simmer for 5 more minutes, add more water if sauce is too thick for your preference. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve topped with chopped fresh parsley.