Chunky Beef and Pasta Stew
Sometimes when its winter all you want is to snuggle in your warm room tucked under a very thick duvet with lots of pillows on the side while watching something on the TV or on You Tube, you don’t even mind what you will be preparing for dinner as this is the perfect time to be really lazy. Having said that dinners don’t need to suffer because of this bed weather so you’re not stuck with something instant or a takeaway as there are many recipes out there which is quite easy to prepare and gives you that comforting feeling.
One of those recipes is this Chunky Beef and Pasta Stew, a dish of bite sized tender beef cubes, carrots, celery, potatoes, mushroom, tomatoes and pasta. Preparing this is quite a breeze all you need to do is sauté your vegetables and leave it to simmer until meat is tender, the hard part is just waiting for it.
A dish that is chunky, comforting and definitely warming, just imagine your cold hands on the hot bowl where this is served what more can you ask for.
- 1 kg stewing beef, cut bite sized pieces
- 500 g farmers brown mushrooms
- 2 large plump tomatoes, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- 2 large carrots, cubed
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cups dried macaroni
- 1.5 litres beef stock
- 1 cup Shiraz red wine
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 sprigs thyme
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup butter
- freshly ground pepper
- chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Season beef pieces with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place soup pot on a stove top in very high heat then add oil, add the beef pieces and brown on all sides.
- Remove the beef then add the onions and celery cook for 5 minutes until the vegetables sweat.
- Add the tomato paste and tomatoes then continue to cook until the paste sticks on the pot and slightly darkened.
- Add wine to deglaze then return the beef, add the stock and thyme then bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to low then simmer for 1½ hours.
- Add the carrots, celery, potatoes and the beef simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and dried macaroni then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Separate two cups of cooking liquid then set it aside.
- In a pan add and melt the butter. Once totally melted add the flour to make a roux. Gently the two cups of soup then bring it to a boil until it thickens.
- Pour thick sauce into the pot of vegetables and beef then simmer for 5 more minutes, add more water if sauce is too thick for your preference. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve topped with chopped fresh parsley.