Bún bò Huế is one hell of a delicious noodle soup dish, it’s a meat lover’s perfect bowl as this amazing Central Vietnamese noodle soup is made from tender slices of beef shanks and pork hocks.
- 1 kg beef shanks
- 1 kg oxtail
- 1 kg pork hocks
- 500 g coagulated pork blood (optional)
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 dozen lemongrass stalks, white part only
- 3 large onions, halved
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp shrimp paste
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- dried thick round rice noodles
- 3 tbsp annatto seeds
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 small shallots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- bean sprouts
- sliced red chillies
- lime or lemon
- thinly sliced white onions
- chopped spring onions
- In a pot add the meats (apart from the pork blood) and pour enough boiling water to submerge everything. Bring to a continuous boil for 10 minutes.
- Drain then rinse thoroughly under running water to remove any scum, you may have to clean your pot as well.
- Add the meat back together with the lemongrass, onions and chicken stock, top it up with water almost to the brim then bring it to a boil. Add the sugar, shrimp paste and fish sauce then simmer in low heat for 1 1/2 hours.
- If you are using pork blood, cook it but boiling them slowly in water for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pork then continue to simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the beef is really tender.
- Remove all the meat then set it aside, you can remove it from its bones or serve it as it is.
- In a pan add oil then sauté the annatto seeds until you have a very vibrant red orange oil. Remove the seeds then add the shallots and garlic, continue to sauté until fragrant. Add this to the soup then continue to simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Cook noodles according to the packet instructions.
- Assemble your noodles with meat and pork blood if using in a bowl, add the bean sprouts and sliced red chillies, pour boiling broth on top. Top with thinly sliced onions, cilantro, spring onions then serve with lime or lemon wedges.
Oh my! All the ingredients! Bet this tastes awesome! Yum yummmm!!!!