Bagis is a simple Kapampangan dish of minced meat cooked in calamansi and chillies usually prepared using either beef or carabeef (Water Buffalo), a popular dish within Central and Northern Luzon area.
- 500 g minced beef (15% fat)
- ½ cup calamansi juice or lemon juice
- 1 cup good beef stock
- 6 pcs birds eye chillies, minced
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- sliced red chillies, to garnish
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a wok add oil then sauté garlic. Cook until onions are soft.
- Add the chillies and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add minced beef, stir until light brown in colour. Pour beef stock and a bit of fish sauce, bring to a boil then simmer in medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until beef is tender and liquid is reduced.
- Pour calamansi juice then simmer for 5 more minutes. Season with additional fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper.
- Garnish with sliced red chillies then serve.