Braised Taro with Kailan is a vegetable dish where young tender kailan leaves is served with a melt in your mouth taro sauce infused with dried squid. In this dish taro is not just a supplemental ingredient like how it’s used in soups and stews but it is the star of this dish.
- 1 large pack baby kailan
- 4–6 pcs small round taro (not the large ones), cut in half
- 2 pcs medium sized dried squid, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 cloves garlic
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- peanut oil
- Rehydrate squid in 1 cup of hot water and set it aside for at least 30 minutes. Drain squid and remove any excess liquid.
- Blanch baby kailan in boiling water with salt, once stems are tender remove from heat then drop it in ice cold water. Drain then set aside.
- In a wok add peanut oil then sauté garlic and rehydrated dried squid, stir fry for a minute.
- Add the taro and the chicken stock, bring to a boil then simmer while wok is covered in medium low heat until taro is cooked and partly melting, roughly around 15-20 minutes. Liquid at this stage would have reduced to 1/4 cup.
- Add the cooked kailan, toss into the sauce then season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper.
- Remove from wok, place in serving platter then serve.