Cheese Stuffed Pork Chops
While other Asian kids enjoy their instant noodles as their comfort food I was busy experimenting at home with some of my favourite food items. As a young child when I was left alone at home with our house nanny I tried to experiment making some food for my own consumption, it started with some oatmeal cookies, bananas dipped in bagoong as well as making my own carbonara pasta. Though some of them were a failure like putting raw eggs on my pasta, most of them were a success like this Cheese Stuffed Pork Chops that I cooked again and again since the first time I made them.
It started with a simple concoction of just pork chops stuffed with a quick melt cheese until it became this recipe that we had now. The latest version of my Cheese Stuffed Pork Chops are made out thick cut pork chops with fat on, filled with three types of cheeses namely cheddar, mozzarella and parmesan together with some bacon and some seasoning. It is then seared to perfection then finished in an oven topped again with some mozzarella. The result is a food worth exchanging those delicious junk food kids love.
Today I am sharing you this recipe and this is the first time I prepared this to my daughter who loves cheese as well, I think now we have a common comfort dish.
- Fry bacon in pan until crispy, cool down and chop into small pieces
- In a bowl combine together chopped bacon ½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese, ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, parsley and chilli powder. Mix then set aside.
- Prepare your pork chops by cutting a pouch lengthwise.
- Fill the pork with ⅓ of the cheese mixture and do it with the rest. Seal pork chops with either sewing a cooking twine or just by toothpicks.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then place in a cast iron griddle and grill over medium heat for 5 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of your pork chops.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella on top of pork chops then place the pork chops still in the griddle in a 220C preheated oven and cook for 5-8 more minutes until mozzarella is golden brown and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and remove the pork chops from the griddle, let it rest for 5 minutes prior to serving.