Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Ever wondered how to make your fried chicken crispy, juicy and very tasty like the ones you get from the fast food stores? Well for most it’s not a secret anymore but for others they still seek for that ingredient that makes the fried chicken so magical. If you haven’t used buttermilk in you chicken you should immediately do so from now on as this is a game changer.
Marinating chicken in buttermilk adds flavour and makes it really moist and tender. The secret is in the lactic acid of dairy products that is why in some cuisines if they don’t have access to buttermilk they use yoghurt or cream instead. Lactic acid helps breakdown the muscles of the meat making it relaxed and tender, during this process the marinade easily seeps through the muscles crevices giving it a fuller flavour.
Now you know the benefits try to use it as much as possible especially in dishes that is suitable like frying. Having said that if frying is not an option you can also bake then or grill them but for me nothing beats the comfort a classic fried chicken can give, I know it’s unhealthy but once in a while it does not hurt, just take things in moderation.
- 1½ kg good sized chicken legs
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp ground thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup cornflour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp white pepper
- Prick the chicken legs with fork all over.
- In a heavy duty Ziploc bag combine all marinade ingredients then add the chicken, close the bag and let it marinate for 6-8 hours in the refrigerator.
- Combine all coating ingredients in a large container that you can cover.
- Remove the chicken form the zip lock bag and drain any excess liquid.
- Place chicken in the container with the coating mixture making sure the chicken will not touch each over, close the container then shake it to coat your chicken evenly.
- In a prepared 180C deep fryer cook your chicken for 15 minutes or until is cooked and golden brown crispy.
- Drain chicken of excess oil, let it cool for 5 minutes then serve.