Mixed Vegetables in Claypot with Squid is a vegetable dish from Hong Kong where vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, bok choy and mushrooms are cooked in claypot with rehydrated dried squid.
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 8 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 bunch choy sum
- 1 large dried squid
- 4 slices ginger
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch + 1 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cup water (from the soaked mushrooms and squid)
- In a bowl rehydrate mushrooms and squid in boiling water, place something on top to keep mushrooms and squid soaked in water. Leave for 30 minutes.
- Slice squid and mushrooms, squeeze excess water from mushrooms. Set them aside.
- Prepare your sauce, heat oil in the clay pot you will be using. Add garlic and shallot and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the squid and mushrooms then continue to stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Pour the water used for rehydration and bring it to a boil until reduced in half the volume. Add the oyster sauce and sugar, then season with salt and mix. Let it simmer in very low heat.
- In a wok add oil then sauté ginger for a minute.
- Toss the cauliflower and broccoli, add the Chinese cooking wine and a sprinkle of water just to rehydrate. Cover wok and let it cook for a minute.
- Add the choy sum and cook for one more minute. Turn heat off then set aside while covered. Vegetables at this point must be 80% cooked and still crisp.
- Back to your sauce, bring heat to high. Combine 1 tsp cornstarch to 1 tbsp water, add it to your sauce to thicken. Add the vegetables into the claypot, mix it to distribute the sauce then turn the heat off. Cover the claypot, let the residual heat cook the vegetables then serve.
That sure looks like a pot filled with awesome goodness. Love the colours!!!
A squid and vegetable stew from Hong Kong… a must have for all seafood lovers.
THIS IS MY DISH!! Squid = THE BOMB! I loveeeeee those chewy suckers!
I love this kind of dish…especially when the weather is cold…this one look so good Raymund…lots of vegetables and squid…awesome!
Thanks for the recipe…have a great week 🙂
I love clay pot dishes…and this one sure looks great Raymund…lots of vegetables and squid…yum!
Hope you are having a great week 🙂
I can almost taste this one just by looking at my screen. Great photo and definitely can’t wait to try the dish.