Zuppa Toscana does that sound so Italian? Well it is an Italian for Tuscan Soup but I doubt this recipes origin is from Tuscany because I haven’t heard of this before or even encounter this type of soup when I was in Italy, I just heard this from the Olive Garden and that’s about it.
- 500 g Italian style sausages, casing removed
- 3 pcs large floury potatoes, cubed (roughly 500g)
- 3 pcs streaky bacon, chopped
- 5 cups good chicken stock
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup cream
- 1 large white onion, diced
- red peppers, crushed (amount according to your liking)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- small bunch of kale, ribbed and roughly chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a soup pot add a bit of butter then cook Italian sausage together with the crushed red peppers. Mash sausages and mix for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the bacon, garlic and onions and cook in low heat until onions are soft and light brown.
- Pour chicken stock and water, bring it to a boil then add potatoes, cook in low heat for 25 minutes.
- Add the kale then cook for 5 minutes or until potatoes and kale are tender.
- Add the cream, simmer for two more minutes in low heat. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then serve.